The Huskies lost in heartbreaking fashion to BC yet again. Tommy Cross scored with 2 seconds left to give BC the 2-1 win.
- Cody Ferriero picked up his first goal of the season against the team he was originally supposed to play for.
- Garett Vermeersch and Alex Tuckerman picked up assists.
- Chris Rawlings had 34 saves and had a really good game.
- The Huskies were outshot, as they have been every game this season, 36-18
- NU was 0-4 on the PP, mustering just 2 shots. BC was 1-5 with 9 shots, including the game winning goal.
What You Need to Know
- The Huskies jumped out to an early lead but were unable to hold it.
- It wasn’t the prettiest goal, but it was great to see Ferriero get it. Hopefully this goal can get him going and kickstart what has been a disappointing career so far considering the expectations we had for him.
- At the beginning on the 2nd period, BC was on the PP. Rawlings fell down and he was off to the side of the net and he couldn’t get back up. BC somehow did not notice and kept playing tic tac toe with their passes.
- Other than that, Rawlings was huge. The score could have easily been 6-1 if it werent for a combination of Rawlings making some big plays and BC missing some easy chances.
- Ben Oskroba returned to the lineup for the first time since opening weekend. He was pretty solid. The defense has a whole was able to shut down a lot of BC breaks.
- Steve Quailer was used on the PK tonight and he looked pretty good. His long reach came in handy on multiple occasions.
- Luke Eibler picked up a penalty with 1 minute left and you knew it was over.
Typical Northeastern. Get an early lead. Play just well enough to keep it for a bit, before eventually letting the other team tie. Create good chances, but don’t finish any of them. Completely waste every power play chance you get. Take some dumb penalties. Somehow keep the game tied by getting big saves from your goalie (who has seen about 40 shots) some nice individual efforts, and some inexplicable misses from the other team. Then in the most heartbreaking and devastating way you can think of, lose the game.
Even if you werent there last night, you’ve seen this loss. You’ve seen it so many times. There isn’t much else to say. Its so sad that its almost funny. You knew it was coming the whole 3rd period. The Huskies played well, just not well enough to win. There were plenty of good things, but in the end mistakes and continued failure on the Power Play cost them.
But today is a new day and they will get the chance to redeem themselves. Lets hope they do.
PS- the BC students were a very late arriving crowd and their chants were a mess (due to having fans in 3 different locations), but they did have a great turnout. I have been to a lot of game at Conte, both as an NU student and as a little kid, and I cant remember ever seeing it that full or loud for a game that wasn’t BU. I have to say I am impressed. Also their video board is awesome. Being able to actually see whats going on when they show replays is cool.