Northeastern picked up a big non-conference win over #11 Michigan last night 4-1.
- Cody Ferriero had 2 goals. Steve Quailer and Braden Pimm also had a goal a piece.
- Pimm and Quailer also had 2 assist each. Joseph Manno, Garrett Vermeersch, and Chris Rawlings all picked up an assist as well.
- Chris Rawlings allowed a very soft goal, but he had 33 saves on the night.
- The Huskies were outshot 34-22
- NU was 1-3 on the PP. Michigan was 0-3.
What You Need to Know
- Game highlights can be found here. Braden Pimm’s goal is not on there for some reason, but I am sure it was awesome.
- The Michigan goal was extremely soft. An all too familiar goal for Rawlings, but he shut the Wolverines out for the remainder of the game. Thats something that wouldn’t have happened last year. Every goalie lets in bad goals sometimes, the good ones can put that behind them and move on. Good to see Rawlings finally doing this.
- The Special Teams numbers look good. NU scored a Power Play goal, their Penalty Kill was perfect, and they didnt take that many penalties. Thats progress on all 3 sections.
- Judging by the 2:00 of highlights, NU looked great in transition. All 3 goals were on the break. NU has shown all season they can cycle it and control board play, if they can be this good in transition, the goals should keep flowing.
- We said last week that of all the new lines, 1 stood out. That line (Quailer-Pimm-Ferriero) was responsible for all of the scoring last night. Up until now, all 3 of those players have been a bit of a disappointment. Now all 3 of them look unstoppable. A lot of chemistry and a lot of skill. Good to see it finally being put to use.
- This is a big win for the Huskies. They went into a very tough place to play and got a big win against a big time opponent. Thats not easy to do at any time. But the players and coaches deserve a ton of credit. They had to travel on Thanksgiving instead of being with their families (though it sounds like the Thanksgiving dinner hosted by SID Mark Majewski and family was a pretty good time) and they still came out with a great performance. A big win on a road trip like this is the perfect way to build team chemistry and hopefully they can keep this good streak going. Next weekend at South Bend should be very interesting.