Northeastern’s streak came to an end on Friday when they lost a tough one to BU.
- Ludwig Karlsson had 2 goals for Northeastern, Alex Tuckerman had the other.
- Justin Daniels, Steve Qualier, Garrett Vermeersch (2) and Vinny Saponari picked up assists.
- Chris Rawlings allowed 4 goals on 30 shots.
- The Huskies outshot BU 34-30
- NU was 1-5 on the PP. BU was 2-6.
What You Need to Know
- NU entered the game without two of their best forwards because Cody Ferriero and Braden Pimm were suspended due to a rules violation.
- Despite that, the Huskies were able to score 2 goals late in the first and they finished the period with a 2-0 lead and an advantage in shots.
- BU would get on back on a shot through the traffic midway through the second.
- Just about a minute later, BU would clear the zone after an aggressive forecheck led to a turnover behind the Northeastern net. The puck was won by BU and played out in front of the net to a wide open Terrier. Rawlings had no chance.
- With the score still tied at 2, Josh Manson was given a 5 minute major and ejection for contact to the head and the wheels started to come off for the Huskies.
- BU would go ahead for good on this Power Play.
- The rest of the game was filled with selfish play, bad penalties, dumb penalties, some poor officiating, and some of the most embarrassing power plays of all time by the Huskies.
- A 2 minute 5 on 3 yielded just one shot before it was ended by Steve Quailer’s 3rd penalty of the night.
- NU would get a 6 on 4 goal with about 3 minutes left, but they couldn’t get another one to force overtime.
At times, this game was just embarrassing. First, in the middle of an 8 game unbeaten streak, two of the guys most responsible for the success decide the rules dont apply to them and hurt the team in the process. BU has the team that was supposed to be hurt by off ice issues headed into this game, but I think it affected the Huskies more. When Alex Tuckerman is playing second line and Dong, Vrolyk, McLaughlin and Stone are all in the lineup on one night, its going to be tough to beat a top team in the country.
Much like the Princeton game, the team reverted to its old way and played with a me vs everyone attitude. The only time anyone wanted to pass was on the Power Play. And then thats all they did. There has to be somebody on this team that they can get to shoot on the power play. Find that person and get them out there. Shake it up and get some new faces out there, because right now special teams is the biggest difference between NU and the premier teams in the country. Guys like Manno and Karlsson should be PP regulars At least they know how to shoot.
The win streak was great for the team and the fans, but it came crashing down hard with this loss. The reality is that this team is buried in the Hockey East standings and thats what counts, not big nonconference wins. Those were all well and good, but they won’t even be remembered if this team fails to pick up crucial Hockey East points.