Yet again, Northeastern skated to a tie last night against Providence. This one finished 2-2.
- Alex Tuckerman and Adam Reid had goals for Northeastern.
- Mike McLaughlin, Drew Daniels, Garrett Vermeersch, and Drew Ellement all had assists.
- Chris Rawlings made 47 saves, a career high. But the two goals he let in will be what this game is remembered for.
- The Huskies were outshoot 49 to 35.
- NU 1-6 on the PP. PC was 1-7, both teams had 5 minute majors.
- Robbie Vrolyk was injured late in the first and did not return.
What You Need to Know
- Northeastern took an early lead, but couldn’t hold on for long.
- With the game tied at 1, Ben Oskroba was sent off for a 5 minute major. NU did a great job killing the penalty, but they allowed a goal when Kevin Hart shot a puck in from the neutral zone and Rawlings deflected it top shelf. I know I have said this a few times this season, but this was without a doubt the softest goal Rawlings has given up. Especially when you consider it was probably going wide of the net before he touched it.
- Adam Reid tied it up on a great move when Vermeersch sprung him on a partial breakaway.
- Speaking of breakaways, Joe Manno had 3. The first two he shot way over the net and the third Beaudry was not fooled on. Manno was really flying last night, but his missed chances proved costly
- More missed chances: NU had a PP late in the third and early in OT. They managed just 1 shot between the 2.
- 1 Shoe OT is still undefeated.
Robbie Vrolyk did not return to the lineup on Saturday after leaving Friday, but even that couldn’t get former fan favorite Rob Dongara back in the lineup. Madigan went with 11 forwards and 7 D and it actually paid off. Dan Cornell left the game in the first to get stitches, then Ben Oskroba was tossed for contact to the head. Cornell eventually returned and the Huskies finished with 6 defenseman.
Once again, offense was an issue for the Huskies. Since Ferriero and Qualier got hurt, the Huskies have scored just 11 goals in 6 games. Pathetic. If Robbie Vrolyk is out for an extended period of time, the Huskies may not score another goal all season. Pimm has been working hard since losing his linemates, but it just hasn’t been working for him. Karlsson has been skating well, but just can’t find the net. And where is the Vinny Saponari that scored goals for BU as a freshman? Its not like he isn’t playing with quality guys. Manno and Reid looked good though. Unfortunately Manno couldn’t finish the way Reid did or else it might have been a different result.
Going into this weekend, everyone knew they needed 4. They got 2 and UMass matched them. So they have made it very difficult on themselves. They do have 3 out of their last 4 games at home, but picking up points against Maine and BU is going to a very big ask.