With their backs to the wall, Northeastern pulled out a huge victory last night over Maine, 4-2.
- Garrett Vermeersch, Justin Daniels, Vinny Saponari and Adam Reid had goals for Northeastern.
- Anthony Bitetto, Joseph Manno and Justin Daniels had 2 points. Steve Quailer and Luke Eibler also had assists.
- Chris Rawlings made 29 saves and didn’t allow any soft goals.
- The Huskies were outshot 31 to 28.
- NU 2-5 on the PP. Maine was 0-2, but got 1 shorthanded goal.
- Mike McLaughlin and Alex Tuckerman both sustained concussions.
What You Need to Know
- The Huskies came to play right from the get go. And Garrett Vermeersch scored on their first PP of the game to give them an early lead.
- The second period got off to a bad start. Maine grabbed a goal 15 seconds in to tie it.
- Then the Huskies reverted to their old habits when Maine gave them a 5 minute major. NU couldn’t get the puck of their own zone and Maine scored eventually to take the lead. NU looked to have tied it, but after a lengthy review, it was ruled McLaughlin kicked the puck in.
- Justin Daniels, who picked up 3 points, tied it up for a real a minute later on a tough angle shot.
- The game looked destined for OT until Joe Manno found himself on a breakaway. His attempt was saved, but Adam Reid was there to put home the rebound with just 1 minute left.
- The Huskies then sealed the deal with an empty netter. Steve Quailer broke in, but then in an unselfish move, passed it to Vinny Saponari.
What a game and what a win. With Steve Quailer back in the lineup, the Huskies actually came to play. Every line had some chances and the Huskies actually looked like a team that wanted to be there for the first time in a while.
Chris Rawlings finally played like a guy who plans on being a pro. He was moving well and made some big saves. But most importantly, he didn’t let in any soft goals. The defense helped him out by limiting chances for the Black Bears.
It looked like another game that NU was going to blow after wasting multiple PP chances late in the game, but they pulled it out.
Manno may not be able to score, but he just keeps getting breakaways. And Adam Reid always seems to be in the right place and the right time. Just a great sequence of events to get the game winner. Both of these freshman are going to play a huge role next season.
I was ready to write this team off, but this was very encouraging. In a must win game, they came to play. And they came back from a deficit for once. It was an impressive win and it gives the team and the fans some hope that playoffs may be in sight.