- Northeastern may have been shut out at the 2012 NHL Draft, but several Huskies have been invited to rookie camps with various NHL teams. Chris Rawlings, who is basically playing for a contract this season, helped himself out with a great showing at Coyotes Development Camp. Ludwig Karlsson, who figures to generate a lot of interest as an undrafted free agent, was invited to the Anaheim Ducks Prospect Conditioning along with Ducks’ draft pick Josh Manson. Other Huskies attending camps were/will be Vinny Saponari (Jets), Cam Darcy (Senators), Cody Ferriero (Sharks), Ben Oskroba (Leafs), and 2013 recruit John Stevens (Flyers).
- Speaking of the NHL Draft, recruit Ross Olsson was graded as an ‘A’ prospect in the initial Central Scouting Services rankings for the 2013 NHL Draft. Olsson was recently named to the Lincoln Stars (USHL) 25 man roster, where he will play his first (and hopefully only) season in the USHL before heading Northeastern in 2013.
- 2014 recruit Daniel Willett was also made the Lincoln roster, though he was placed on the affiliate list. Players on the affiliate list are not usually with the team, but they can be called up at any point during the season. There is also a chance that Willett could be moved onto the active roster after the USHL Fall Classic, which is when rosters are usually shuffled then finalized. The Lincoln Stars Blog thinks Willett will spend some time with Lincoln this season.
- 2015 recruit Cam Askew made the Indiana Ice (USHL) 30 man roster. Askew was originally supposed to attend Cushing Academy as a freshman this season, but now he could play in the USHL at just 15 years old. It remains to be seen if Askew will join the Ice or begin the year on the affiliate list.
- Recruit John Stevens will play for the Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL) in his final year before attending Northeastern. Stevens joined the Saints for a few games after his season with Salisbury Prep ended this past spring. This will be is hist first full year in the USHL.
- Adam Reid will be attending USA Hockey’s National Junior Evaluation Camp this summer. Reid will be hoping to earn a spot on the roster for the 2013 World Junior Classic this winter.
- Anthony Bitteto is getting ready to start his first season of professional hockey and Jim Diamond, of the Examiner.com, talked to the former Husky about leaving Northeastern and his first professional game.
- Brad Thiessen choose to re-sign with Pittsburgh instead of becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer. Thiessen will likely spend another season in the AHL since the Penguins have veterans Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun at the NHL level. Thiessen’s NHL salary will remain at $525,000, but he got a nice $20K raise that will bump his AHL salary up to $105,000.
- Here is a Video Interview with Steve Quailer at Montreal Canadiens Development Camp.
- Tyler McNeely will be searching for a new team this summer after being let go by the Islanders organization
- Justin and Drew Daniels won’t be returning to Northeastern next season. They also won’t be signing with the Sharks. The Sharks decided that they weren’t interested in the twins, despite drafting them both in 2008. The Daniels brothers are now free to sign with any team they
- Michael Neville, a ’93 from Ontario, is rumored to be planning an official visit at Northeastern. Neville is a former Brown commit who will play in Lincoln (USHL) this season with Northeastern recruits Ross Olsson and Zach Aston Reese. He is also looking to visit Michigan Tech.
- And lastly, UMass continues to search for a new coach. Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold seemed on the verge of accepting an offer before ultimately deciding to stay at Quinnipiac. UMass then turned their attention to Holy Cross coach Paul Pearl. Pearl was supposedly offered the job, but turned it down for family reasons. Fear the Triangle is your go to for the latest news and commentary on the search.