Here is the current playoff picture for the fall semester:
|Reptar on Ice||1-0-1 (3)||America, Christ Crew, Hurricanes|
|Don’t Toews Me Bro||1-0-1 (3)||Mighty Ducks, Hurricanes, Scoregams|
|The Mighty Ducks||2-0-0 (4)||DTMB, Dangle Berries, Trolls|
|Christ Crew||2-0-1 (5)||Reptar, RamRod|
|America||1-0-2 (4)||Reptar, RamRod|
|Hurricanes||2-0-0 (4)||DTMB, Dangle Berries, Reptar|
|The Dangle Berries||1-1-1 (3)||Mighty Ducks, Hurricanes|
- The Dangleberries look the least likely to make it with only 3 points from 3 games. They have 2 winnable games left though. If they win both, they could sneak in.
- Hurricanes have been a surprise newcomer so far. Not many broomball teams make the jump to hockey, but they have managed it. Now comes the hard part: 2 out of their last 3 are against the cream of the crop. They need to beat Dangleberries and hope to get something from one of the other two games to have a chance.
- America is another team that will probably miss out. The have 2 very tough games left and they probably need about 3 points to feel safe. RamRod will be looking to play spoiler after another disappointing season. This team lost in the Fall ’10 Championship, so they have the experience.
- RamRod is like the Jets of NU Intramurals. All talk, no results.
- Christ Crew has 2 big games left as well. One win will probably be enough, but that wont be easy.
- The Mighty Ducks are so close to a playoff spot. Their last game against Trolls is an easy win. If they can get a win in one of their other two, they should get in. The Ducks lost in the Championship game of Spring ’10 and they were last team to win it before the reign of Reptar started. They added former Northeastern Husky, JP Maley, and are making a push to take back the title. (Reptar is rumored to be looking into a possible acquisition of another former Husky Dman, Drew Muench).
- Don’t Toews Me Bro has proven themselves to be one of the best teams in the league. After losing to Reptar in the Spring ’11 Championship, they went out and added Styles Demers, a sophomore with some unreal dangles. An opening night tie with Reptar put them in an wearly hole, but a big win over RamRod has set them up nicely. They need 2 out of their last 3, which is very possible. They play 3 good teams, but they will be favored to win all 3. This team will be in the playoffs for the 3rd Semester in a row.
- And last, but certainly not least, Reptar on Ice. They too worked out of the opening night hole and find themselves controlling their own destiny. But they have quite the stretch ahead of them. First up a Championship rematch against America. Then, its Christ Crew in a game that is sure to get chippy. Reptar was almost kicked out of the league after a brawl occurred when these two teams last met. Last up is Hurricanes, in what may be a heated game. Pat Finnell plays for Hurricanes and Reptar players don’t forget how he left the team after 1 game to join Bruno’s Raviolis in their first season.
I think Reptar, DTMB and Mighty Ducks are all very close to being locks for the playoffs. That last spot will likely be between Christ Crew and Hurricanes. But crazier things have happened.
There are only 3 games this week but they are all huge ones.
Thursday-Mighty Ducks vs Dont Toews Me Bro, 9pm
The winner of this will be in great shape to make the playoffs. Its probably too early to clinch, but this would put them right on the doorstep. I think the addition of Maley gives the Ducks the edge and he leads them to a victory that shows they are here to stay.
Sunday-Reptar on Ice vs America, 5pm
Neither team can afford to lose, especially America. America has played Reptar close, but they have never quite been able to hang with them for a full game. Sunday is no different. Reptar wins by a couple even without their captain (who has yet to play a game this year)
Sunday-Don’t Toews Me Bro vs Hurricanes, 9pm
2 games in 4 days is a tough task for DTMB, but with 2 wins they will lock up a playoff spot. For Hurricanes, this a huge chance to improve their playoff chances and to prove that they are legit. I havent seen Hurricanes play so I really don’t know what to expect. But if they can hang with DTMB, I will be impressed.
So check back next week because the playoff picture will look a lot clearer by then.